Getting To Know The Man Behind The Company
Jerry McLaughlin founded Branders.com in May 1999 along with three other co-founders. However, his partners have left the company to move on to other ventures. Together, the four saw the opportunity to innovate the promotional products industry and bring it to the Web. They also saw the importance of technology in improving the experience of buyers.
Prior to co-founding Branders, Jerry was working for Altos Ventures, a venture capital firm designed for making early stage investments in companies and entrepreneurs. Before joining Altos Ventures, he was also the CEO of Enwisen, the first-Internet based clearinghouse of employee benefit information between insurers and large employers. His tenure in the company saw him negotiating distribution deals with Netscape and insurance brokers. Among the company’s clients include Long Drugs, Yahoo, and Washington Post.
He was able to hone his expertise in marketing and branding when he founded and operated an advertising firm in Philadelphia. He was a practicing business lawyer at the Cooley Godward based in Palo Alto, California where he was working with emerging growth companies, venture capitalists, and investment bankers based in the Silicon Valley.
Jerry McLaughlin is a former U.S. Marine officer and active member of the Young President’s Organization. He earned his Jurist Doctorate with honors from Temple University. He has a degree with honors in Economics and English from the University of Pennsylvania.
Awards And Achievements
His hard work and dedication to Branders.com has bore fruit for Jerry McLaughlin. Under his leadership, Branders.com bagged several citations. Among its awards are the following:
- March 2000 – Branders.com Wins Top Awards At Exhibitor Show 2000
- January 2001 – PPAI Distributor Winner – Gold
- January 2002 – PPAI Distributor Winner – Gold
- January 2004 – PPAI Distributor Winner – Silver
- January 2006 – PPAI Distributor Web Award – Gold
- January 2008 – PPAI Expo 2008. Functionality/Usability and Technical Innovations/E-commerce categories
- May 2010 – ASI Central 2010 Distributor Entrepreneur of the Year
- January 2011 – PPAI Distributor Winner – Silver for Functionality/Usability and Technical Innovations/E-commerce categories
His leadership has paved the way for Branders to be featured in Harvard Business School’s Strategy & Innovation and the industry magazine Counselor in 2006 for its unique model. In 2010, Jerry McLaughlin was hailed as the Distributor Entrepreneur of the Year. He currently has a regular column on Forbes.com called the “Brand Builder” series where he gives valuable insights and advice to companies looking to grow their business and their brand.
Now based in California, Jerry McLaughlin spends time with his family going scuba diving and fly fishing. As for Branders.com, Jerry is looking forward to more growth for Branders in the future. His advice for entrepreneurs in the industry is three F’s and a P- be Flexible, Frugal, Fanatical, and Patient.
Some links to interviews and articles about and by Jerry McLaughlin
- (May 2000) From Philadelphia To Silicon Valley Branders.com’s Jerry Mclaughlin Still Carries The Entrepreneurial Spirit That Became Apparent In His Undertakings Here
- (Aug 2000) Unstuffing Those Stuffy Staff Meetings
- (Jan 2001) Schwag Bag
- (Jul 2005) The $16 Billion Opportunity in–Tchotchkes?
- (Mar 2010) How Facebook Can Help Your Business
- (Apr 2010) How Promotional Items Can Build Your Brand and Your Business
- (May 2010) 2010 Distributor Entrepreneur of the Year: Jerry McLaughlin, Branders.com
- (May 2010) A call for more accountable social media marketing
- (Jun 2010) An Offshore Sourcing Primer For Small Business: Leveraging Chinese Manufacturing Resources
- (Jun 2010) Promotional Marketing – It’s Time to Get Personal
- (Jul 2010) Jerry McLaughlin restructured Branders.com into a low-cost leader
- (Aug 2010) Customer service LIVES!
- (Aug 2010) Do You Make This Mistake With Your Logo?
- (Sep 2010) Risking It All To Succeed
- (Sep 2010) Striking the Balance: Social Media Only an Ingredient in the Marketing Mix
- (Oct 2010) To achieve success, you have to deserve success
- (Oct 2010) The Top Office Gifts for the Holidays
- (Oct 2010) Keep The Commitment – Employee Recognition Programs That Work
- (Jan 2011) Online Clicks Can Add Up To Real Orders; Making Google AdWords Work For You
- (Jan 2011) Small Businesses Can Also Score with Super Bowl Marketing
- (Feb 2011) Yosef Interviews Branders.com CEO Jerry McLaughlin
- (Feb 2011) Run a tight ship
- (Apr 2011) A retailer finds that even unadvertised price cuts can boost sales
- (May 2011) Promotions May Hurt Sales – a Study in Consumer Behavior
- (May 2011) Jerry McLaughlin – CEO of Branders.com
- (Jun 2011) Discovering the real value of referral sales
- (Jul 2011) Supply Chain
- (Jul 2011) The Surprising Power of Promotional Products
- (Aug 2011) A business lesson: Branders.com
- (Sep 2011) Recognizing the value of your own business expertise
- (Sep 2011) How One Online Retailer Tweaked Its Way a Better Sales Future
- (Nov 2011) Nuts & Bolts – Loyalty : Memories Top Reward Points?
- (Nov 2011) Does Swag Work?
- (Nov 2011) Branding Yourself With Branders.com
- (Jan 2012) Making memories
Get in touch with Jerry
Thank you for reading our blog. We also recommend our best selling items below: